February 19, 2020
It’s not every day that the state Legislature stops in its tracks to salute dozens of high school athletes.
But on Jan. 24, the Vermont House and Senate passed seven joint resolutions to honor the seven sports teams from Champlain Valley Union High School that won their state championships last fall.
A few days later on Jan. 28, the boys volleyball team made the trip to the State House in Montpelier to hear the reading of their resolution and to accept the honor on behalf of their fellow athletes.
The resolutions were:
- H.C.R. 204 | Congratulating the 2019 CVU Redhawks boys volleyball program on winning a fourth consecutive state championship.
- H.C.R. 205 | Congratulating the 2019 CVU state championship girls volleyball team.
- H.C.R. 206 | Congratulating the 2019 CVU Redhawks Division I boys cross-country championship team.
- H.C.R. 207 | Congratulating the 2019 CVU Redhawks Division I championship girls cross-country team.
- H.C.R. 208 | Congratulating the 2019 CVU Redhawks Division I boys soccer program on its second consecutive Division I championship.
- H.C.R. 209 | Congratulating the 2019 CVU Redhawks girls soccer program on winning a third consecutive Division I championship.
- H.C.R. 210 | Congratulating the CVU Redhawks on winning a second consecutive Division I boys golf championship.
The resolutions were offered by local state Reps. Bill Lippert of Hinesburg, Mike Yantachka of Charlotte, Jessica Brumsted and Kate Webb of Shelburne, and Terence Macaig and James McCullough of Williston.
Also listed on the resolutions were Chittenden County state Sens. Tim Ashe, Philip Baruth and Chris Pearson of Burlington, Debbie Ingram and Virginia Lyons of Williston, and Michael Sirotkin of South Burlington.
The full texts of the resolutions also can be found online on the legislative page at vermont.gov.
Community News Service is a collaboration with the University of Vermont’s Reporting & Documentary Storytelling program.